Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It was a fine evening; Mr. Wordsy was with his school friends buying gift for his friends sister’s wedding. They decided upon few wedding gifts and Mr. Wordsy emptied his pocket money on the gift. Mr. Wordsy didn’t have to worry about dinner because he had a great reception food to rampage on. For the rest of the evening the group decided to roam in Spencer plaza and do the routine. :) The reception was brilliant; they had sumptuous dinner which started simulating their brains. It was already 9 PM by then. The group of friends decided that they had to go somewhere and afterwards they will go home. It happens a lot of times with friends that they can’t decide where to go in few minutes. The group kept talking and talking in bike stand but didn’t decide where to go!! One of the crazies in the group suggested “let’s go to marina beach da… At night it will be awesome”. Idea was perfect; they will go to beach sit in sand and continue talking. The clock showed 10 PM; remember they were in school so no one had proper license for the vehicle they drove. Someone in the group did mention that it is not really good idea to drive from Ashok Nagar to Marina at this time of night. But as they say young bloods never thinks twice. :)

From here on narration will be from Mr. Wordsy’s view.

We started in four vehicles, a pulsar, a bajaj chetak, a Kinetic Honda, a Scooty (mine). I was driving alone while other three had pillion rider. The pulsar shot off, as you might have guessed already, the other three were together for two reasons:

1. The drivers of the other two vehicles were people with negligible directional sense. They have to ride a million times on same route to know the route. It was past ten so going alone meant getting lost for them!

2. Their vehicles were too old to match up to the speed of pulsar.

So happily chatting and laughing we took the G.N.Chetty road, we were almost near Anna flyover I told them clearly that we have to go below the flyover and turn right. And what happened was the kinetic Honda shot past me saying “okay fine da” and rode straight up the flyover! I was like “what the hell!!” I raced after him shouting “stop da! Stop!” watching me going over flyover the Bajaj Chetak also followed me over flyover!! I caught up with kinetic Honda on top of flyover.

Me: “Dei!! Ennada panre? (What are you doing?) I told you we had to go below the fly over and then right”

Kinetic Honda guy: “oh like that ah… I though take the flyover and then right machi…”

It was one of those moments were stupidity had to be ignored and next step was to be taken. It was past 10:30 PM, the roads were deserted except few vehicles. The bajaj chetak also caught up with us. We decided that we will get down the flyover and take a turn to left and ride on wrong side of one-way to reach under the flyover and then catch up with the proper road. I asked the other two vehicles to go ahead of me while drive behind them. This was the turning point of the night. They rode ahead of me and I followed them, they look the left turn from the bridge, enter the one-way and rode in wrong side, it was empty, we raced through the wrong side of one-way road, they turned and went under the flyover. I took the turn to go under the flyover. Shock of my life was waiting; a white figure with its hands out was moving closer towards my vehicle. I hit the brakes hard, stopping my vehicle just before the white figure. I heard the sound of my tires screeching. I looked up; the white figure had a blue cap, with a symbol on front. It was wearing a khaki pant and brown belt with steel buckle. I heard the croaky voice “Take out your license!”

I was caught by a traffic police under Anna flyover at 10.30 PM! I cursed my luck! What are the chances for that to happen! It was night 10.30, even the traffic lights at few junctions stopped working at 10 PM! But I was caught red handed driving in the wrong side of one-way and taking a turn under Anna flyover. In a distance I could see two small red lights fading quickly, how the hell did they miss this police? Was he hiding and jumped out as soon as I took the turn. My thoughts were interrupted by a raspy voice.

Traffic police: “Thambi enga poring evalo vegama?” (Where are you going so fast?)

Me: “Sir… sir… (It was night ten thirty I couldn’t lie about late to school or tuition) Friend veetuku group studies panna poren sir…” (Going to friends place for group studies)

Traffic police (TP): “unna patha group study panna pora matiri therlaye… seri license edu… (You don’t look as if you are going for group studies… okay! Take out your license)

Me: “Sir… license veetule iruku” (license is at home)

TP: “License illama epidipa vandi ottaringa… one-way le opposite side vandi otti irukinga athuvum mount road le” (How can you ride without license? You have gone in opposite side of one-way… that too mount road)

Me: “Sir Sir please sir… next time I’ll be careful”

TP: “Hmmm… naan veetuku kelambitu irunthen appo than rendu vandi wrong side of one-way lenthu turn panni ponnanga athu naala wait panni pathen… opposite side of one-way ottrathu thaapu thambi unga nallathuku thane solren” (I was about to leave home when I saw two vehicles turn from one-way… it is not good to ride in opposite side of one-way, it is for your safety)

I was caught because of one stupid friend and they were lucky enough to miss the traffic police. I tried saying so many sorry and please but in vain.

TP: “one-way le vandi ottinathu, license illa… purse le evalo iruku?” (You have driven in wrong side of one-way, no license… how much do you have in purse)

I have heard stories of bribing but never so explicit! I took out my purse, searched every nook and corner of it, I had only two rupee coin with me. Rest of the money I had spent in gift and eatables at Spencer plaza. Should I try running from the place? Or should I tell him the truth?

Me: “Sir… rendu ruba thaan iruku” (I only have two rupees)

I seriously couldn’t read his reaction; his eyes bulged out, his lips shortened… I really feel he didn’t know whether to scold me or feel pity for me! I didn’t have mobiles those days. And where am I going to find a STD booth to call someone at this time, plus only two rupees in hand!!! Traffic police gave me intense look. His voice and attitude totally changed after that.

TP: “Give me your vehicle key!”

I looked blankly at him. He repeated the same line again only this time angrier. I gave him the key.

TP: “We will go to station… let inspector decide what to do with you…”

I was shell shocked… I heard the filmy dialogue in my head “No one in our family has ever stepped into a police station… You are a disgrace to the family…”

Me: “Sir please… sir pleeeaaaaseeeeee… Naan romba naala payyan sir” (I am a good boy)

Me: “Sir innime naan vandi wrong side le ottave matten… Promise” (From here on I won’t drive in wrong side of one-way… Promise)

TP: “Inspector vandi seize panni Nungambakkam station le vechu iru paaru… kalaile vanthu Rs.1500/- fine kaati vandi eduthukittu po…!” (Inspector will seize the vehicle and keep it at Nungambakkam station. Pay Rs.1500/- fine and take it home)

Me: “Vadapalani varaikum ponnum sir… please” (I have to go till Vadapalani)

Me: “Sir… Naan student sir… padikanum sir…” (I am student. I have to study)

I got another ugly stare!! Then at that moment I heard voice… Was god was speaking to me? Was god calling my name from behind?

Voice: “Vikram…!”

I turned around to see a figure from dark walking towards me… I knew this guy…

Guy: “What are you doing here?”

He came closer I realized who it was… Mr. Wine… One of the pillion riders of the other vehicle… and he is asking me “What am I doing here?!” should I slap him?! Or just kick him?! Or both?!

Me: “I rode on wrong side of one-way and didn’t have license with me so…”

Mr. Wine: “oh…!”

TP: “ethu yaaru? Innoru bike le ponnalage athule oruthana? ” (Who is this? Is it one of the guys from other bike)

Mr. Wine: “No no… I live in Nungambakkam only. Came for a walk and this guy is my friend”

TP didn’t say anything but gave both of us a terrifying look.

Me to Wine: “kaile kaasu iruka?”

Mr. Wine opens his purse to starts counting notes… Lots of notes but denominations are very small…

TP to Wine: “Thambi purse kattunga… (Show me your purse)

Mr. Wine: “Sir… veetle kaasu enga nu ketpanaga sir…” (When I go home they will enquire about the money)

TP: “Adu ellam pathukalam… pursa kaatu” (That is okay… show me your purse!)

Mr. Wine reluctantly showed him the purse.

TP: “Evalo iruku totala??” (How much you have in total?)

Mr. Wine after counting: “120 rubaa iruku sir” (120 rupees)

TP: “seri… thaa… illana neeyum evan kooda bike le vanthenu fine poduven” (Okay… give it or else I’ll put fine saying you were travelling with him)

Mr. Wine looked at me, I signaled him to give. Mr. Wine passed the money, TP started counting it. After counting it he handed back to us two ten rupee notes.

TP: “Intha pa vechuko…” (Here have it)

I was surprised by his action. Why would he give back just Rs.20? Why not Rs.50? May be Mr. Wine’s words moved him to return back Rs.20/- : ) : )

TP: “Drive home carefully, from now on don’t ride in wrong side of the one-way.”

Me: “Yes sir…”

TP left the place; I turned to Mr. Wine and said “Thanks man!” He smiled back.

Me: “Where did you get so much money?”

Mr. Wine: “Oh..! That… we realized you were not behind us so we returned to see what happened. We saw you talking to TP so hid in a dark corner and watched. We saw you searching your purse. I knew you didn’t have money so all us shared. Kinetic Honda had Rs.30, Bajaj chetak had Rs.10, and rest was mine.”

Me: “Where are the others?”

Mr. Wine: “They are waiting for us in the other street”

Me: “Shall we go back to home? It is already late”

Mr. Wine: “Yup.And are you planning to tell this at home?”

Me: “Nope! You? ”

Mr. Wine: “Nopes”

Me: “We went to Marina beach right?”

Mr. Wine: “The breeze in the beach was awesome!”

(This part was contributed by Mr. Wine)

Once we sent the Police aabiser , then came a ultimate situation .. On moving 25 Mts forward your tyre got punctured ....

No puncture shop was there near by, in the first place (come on how can u expect a puncture shop just under Anna Flyover that too at 10 45 Pm!!)... Then we were searching for a puncture shop as if, if we find one we had the money to fix the puncture .... All the four's purse was emptied to satisfy that TP (I meant Traffic police , nothing else :P )... No one had no idea and at a point of time we decided to walk 10 Km from Mount Road to Vadapalani with the vehicle (as if we are protesting against the fuel price hike) .

Then came the saviours .. Those Pulsar guys , not thet they had lot of money , after they came the combined money we had was around Rs40 (including Rs 20 given back by the TP )..

On looking at gang of guys standing just outside the American Consolate at night 11 30 , a security gaurd equiped with AK 47 approached us .. Finally the light at end of the tunnel, a old man was passing past us and i stopped him to ask about any puncture shop near by ... Damn Comes a reply from him "Naan cycle kada dhan vachirukien Thambi , naan puncture otrien ..".. It was "Kanna Laddooo thingaaa aasaayaaaa" for us..

Once he fixed he asked for Rs 60 just for a punture !!!!.. and No one had any thing to talk when he asked that amount .. But again God smiled at us , that security gaurd came to us again and asked "enna dhan prachana ungalukku".. for us it was like "Kannaaa rendu ladoo thingaa assaiyaaaaa"... We both complaind to that gaurd "this guy is demanding lots of money for a puncture".. (as if two kids talking to a pricipal).. He started shouting at that cycle wala and finally we started our journey back home .. and it was 1 AM when I reached home and next day morning at 5AM we had tuition for extrance exam coaching ..



Note: Thank you Mr. Wordsy and Mr. Wine for letting me share this storywinkwinkwinktwisted

11 Comments:

Kram said...

Thank you Wine for adding up the last part of story :)

Ramanathan Kannan said...

You poor thing :)

SenthilKumar said...

:) :) Super da Vikram...
padikaradhuku semma intrest'a irundhadhu :)

Unknown said...

"Kannaaa rendu ladoo thingaa assaiyaaaaa"."
good one da....:)

Unknown said...

Dai so what did u learn from this one...???

Venky said...

Super da machi ... Pinnrel .. indha rate la nee blog ezhudhina one day you will become a Wordsworth da .. (am sure you get the hidden meaning here)..

I spoke to Wine da and were discussing about this part
Mr. Wine: “Oh..! That… we realized you were not behind us so we returned to see what happened. We saw you talking to TP so hid in a dark corner and watched"

He says the people knew that Wordsy got caught , the instant he was caught by the Police ... They had just escape maadied it seems .. and Wine went on saying that all 3 (Wine , Kinetic Honda and Chetak) were hiding behind 3 trees itseems when these things were goin on .. While they were peeping and seeing what was goin on to Wordsy, Chetak dirtied that tree out of fear itseems...

And what a comedy Sirji , Wine going on walk at night 10 40 that too under Anna Flyover , Balle Balle ... TP dint tell anything for that huh?? ..

Anyway great attempt to write these things da .. Cheers..

Yogu said...

Super machi...Narration is too good da..Nalla form la irukka..continue pannu...

Matangi Mawley said...

good!

well written!

Pavan Kumar said...

he semma da :) if u go in the same range , ull become a big blogger :) keep the gud work goin man , keep writing :)

Pavan Kumar said...

only plp who go through such situations , will know the how does it feel @ tht time , for other its just a story.anyways vet well expressed man.

Durai said...

Though u have told this story before, it is nice to read... well narrated... great presence of mind Mr.Wine :)... u r in a good flow, keep up the pace Thirubhai :D

 

Copyright 2010 Kramations.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.